If you’re like most people, you tend to get a little perfectionistic from time to time. Or maybe “from time to time” isn’t specific enough for you. How’s this: You tend to get a little perfectionistic every day for approximately 14 hours. Is that “perfect” enough for you? I like to think of myself as [...]
How do you react when something new enters your environment? Do you embrace it wholeheartedly, with a smile on your face and a glow in your heart? Do you ignore it, pretending it’s not really there? Or do you try to eradicate it by any means necessary, resorting to violence if needed? My guru, Lucy [...]
How many times have you heard the story of the butterfly emerging from its cocoon? Maybe fifteen hundred billion times? Don’t get me wrong, I love a good butterfly story. It’s a great metaphor for growth and transformation. I especially like hearing about how, when they’re in the cocoon stage, they’re relegated to total mush. [...]
It’s not every day a pit bull says hello to your ass. With its teeth. And thank God for that. But one day, years ago, I had one of those days. I was still employed as a social worker, and part of my job involved visiting the homes of my clients. Given that my clients [...]
Why is it that duct tape and extreme situations are often paired together? Earthquakes? Duct tape. Hurricanes? Duct tape. Non-stop talkers? Duct tape. In my case, the situation isn’t quite as extreme: It started with my Prius. That’s right, I’m a Prius owner. In case you’ve never met one of my kind, we’re extremely proud [...]
What do you do when you’re scared? Do you freeze? Do you act tough, so no one will know you’re afraid? Or do you arch your back and fluff up your tail so it looks like you’re twice as big as you are? And then hiss? If you picked the last choice, you’re in good [...]
Is there anything worse than humiliation? Sure, there are worse things. Like having your pants catch on fire. Though, come to think of it, that’s also pretty humiliating. If I could pick one situation that has the most potential for humiliation, it would have to be junior high. Or high school. Take your pick. High [...]
There’s only one thing worse than being caught in a rut, and that’s not being able to get out. When was the last time you found yourself in such a situation? What did you do? Bury your head, ostrich-style? Attempt to scramble your way out, only to find yourself deeper in? Or did you convince [...]
Have you ever wanted something that seemed out of reach? What did you do about it? Did you: A) Shrivel into a ball of doubt and fear, telling yourself you didn’t want it anyway? B) Make a few half-hearted attempts to achieve your goal, followed by a collapse into a lifeless pile of defeat? C) [...]
I hate fear. I know, we spiritual types are supposed to embrace all aspects of our experience, even the hard stuff. But fear still pisses me off. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve had great success with flipping fear on its belly and finding the excitement underneath. But I’ve also had fear pin me to the floor, [...]
GET Z UPDATES!
Sign up below to get my blog posts delivered to your email in-box!
Find me on Facebook!
- My Front-Row Ticket to a Miracle August 14, 2012
- What a Mormon Woman Taught Me About Truth and Clothing September 3, 2013
- Forget Butterflies. Dragonflies Have an Ever Better Story! May 7, 2013
- How I Survived the Spiritual Retreat from Hell April 17, 2012
- Why I Changed My Name to Z August 6, 2013
- The One Question You Need to Ask About Your Entertainment Choices December 3, 2013
- How to Overcome the Power of Prejudice November 26, 2013
- The 7 Virtues of Blogging November 19, 2013
- My Guru Has a Tail, Episode 5: The Lap Dance November 12, 2013
- How Do You Love Your Neighbor When They’re Being a Rat Fink? November 5, 2013
- Z Egloff: Hi Karen, Of course you're a fan of Sponge Bob! ...
- Z Egloff: Hi Karen, Yay! Another Abe fan. :) Your story ab...
- Z Egloff: Hi Nita, Fun to "see" you here! :) Ooooooh! Sq...
- Z Egloff: Hi Sherry, Yes, I hear you. Being steeped in Abe ...
- Z Egloff: Hi Ren, Thanks for stopping by! Always nice to me...